The Hastings Prince Edward Ontario Heath Team (HPE OHT) is a partnership of health and human service care providers from Hastings County, Prince Edward County and the Tyendinaga Mohawk Territory, working in the shared purpose of “Caring for our communities together. Partnering for better health and wellness, within, and across our communities.”
The HPE OHT provides critical health and human services for an area spanning from the shores of Lake Ontario and the Bay of Quinte to Algonquin Provincial Park and beyond. An area that consists of Hastings County, the second largest county in Ontario and Prince Edward County, an island community in Lake Ontario. Both counties are set in rural Ontario and are deeply rooted in farming, agriculture, manufacturing, hospitality as well as a prime destination to live, work, grow, visit and retire.
Hastings and Prince Edward Counties, collectively, is home to four hospitals in Quinte Health’s network: Prince Edward County Memorial, Belleville General, Trenton Memorial and North Hastings. Other critical service providers include community support service agencies, dedicated primary care providers, family health teams, community health centres, nurse practitioner led clinics, addictions and mental health service agencies, and human services providers amongst a collaborative network of so many others. These agencies, collectively form what is referred to as the Collaborative. The HPE OHT catchment area serves a diverse population of more than 161, 180 people and is divided into four geographical areas, referred to as Constellations: Rural Hastings, Belleville-Tyendinaga, Prince Edward County and Quinte West. The work of the HPE OHT is collaboratively informed by various groups, councils and action teams including the Patient, Client and Partners Council and Primary Care Council. Together, these councils serve as an integral voice and change agent in the transformation of health care in Hastings and Prince Edward Counties.
Our Principles for Working Together
- Community Focused
- We will work in ways that empower and drive change and improvements across and within communities.
- We will stay connected, collaborative and coordinated in our efforts to ensure the biggest positive impact for the people and communities we serve.
- We will co-design in equal partnership with our communities and partners.
- We commit to the principle of “nothing about them without them”.
- Distributed Leadership
- We will ensure distributed leadership, shared responsibility & decision making across our communities and partnership.
- We acknowledge that no single person or organization can lead the transformative change we need and that we all have a part in advancing positive change.
- Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
- We will create a safe and supportive environment where all voices are valued and can be heard, included in discussion and decision making.
- We will work together to identify and reduce barriers and inequities and power differences.
- Trust & Transparency
- We will work hard to build and deepen relationships and trust across the collaborative and our communities.
- We will hold ourselves accountable and share responsibility for communicating effectively with one another, amongst all the collaborative partners and with our community.
- We will define common measures of success and continually track and share our progress.
- Courage & Innovation
- We will push ourselves to be courageous, including in times of ambiguity, and shift our mindsets, behaviours, and ways of working with one another to accelerate positive change.
- We will work to find simple, creative solutions that bring real change and better outcomes for the people and communities we serve.
The HPE OHT Declaration of Values
A declaration of values is intended to serve as a compass for the individuals and organizations who are involved in health care and reflects values that patients, families and caregivers find important to them. The Declaration of Values that will serve as a compass, highlighting values important not only to patients, clients and caregivers, but service providers alike.
These values include:
- Empathy and Compassion
- Respect and Dignity
- Equity and Inclusion
- Accountability and Trust
The development of the declaration was led by members of the Patient, Client and Partners Council (PCPC) with engagement from the Primary Care Council (PCC) and other OHT partners and stakeholders, staying true to the HPE OHT’s commitment to co-design.
“Values are the most basic and fundamental beliefs that guide the way we act and behave. In our OHT, these values will help guide and further develop our relationships and influence how we interact with one another. We look forward to seeing these values in action.” – Ed Bentley, PCPC Member.
The Declaration of Values is just one of many ways in which patients, clients and caregivers amongst other OHT partners and stakeholders are being engaged in local health care. A full printable copy of the declaration of values can be accessed by clicking here.
The Ontario Health Team Model
Ontario Health Teams are being introduced to provide a new way of organizing and delivering care that is more connected to patients in their local communities. Under Ontario Health Teams, health care providers (including hospitals, doctors and home and community care providers) work as one coordinated team – no matter where they provide care. Click here to learn more about Ontario Health Teams.